Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Our westie is not eating his dog food I.e. Wet n dry, he will

our westie is not eating his dog food I.e. Wet n dry, he will eat bits if we put pieces of chicken or sauage in but in the main he will leave his own food
regards......Garry
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello Garry. I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I can understand your frustration with Charlie not wanting to eat what he always seemed to enjoy. I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first, if you don't mind: 1. Will he eat the people food you offer him quite eagerly and willingly?2. Does he eat biscuits or dog treats with no hesitation (if you offer him these sort of treats)?3. Have you tried a different brand of dog food or have you just been mixing people food in with his regular meals?4. Is he showing any other signs of disease such as lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, etc? There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there
Yes to question 1and 2
No to question 3 just mixing people food with his normal food
No to question 4
For question 5 it varies from day to day but he has now given up eating anything for breakfast
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Garry:
Thanks for the additional information; this helps a lot.

When one of my patient starts to behave as you're seeing with Charlie, I always worry that there may be some underlying disease process causing it such as problems with the kidneys, liver, pancreas, etc.
However, if there are no overt symptoms of disease, if my patient willingly and eagerly eats table food or biscuits, then I'm much less worried that something serious may be going on.

As strange as it sounds, in the largest percentage of cases that I've seen like this, especially in relatively young dogs, the problem is fairly simple: they're tired of their dog food and want some variety or a change.
I know this may seem simplistic and I know that many of us think that dogs are satisfied with the same food day after day but after almost 30 years of being a vet and seeing countless cases like this over the years, I've come to believe that this just isn't true.

Just like humans, dogs get bored with the same food. The clue that this may be what's going on with Charlie is that he eats the human food so enthusiastically. If he felt ill or nauseous which is why he didn't want to eat, then he'd reject everything, not just his food. This is his way of telling you to change it to something different.

I'll confess that some dogs will become so spoiled eating human food that they simply refuse to eat anything else. I don't typically associate this behavior with Westies but I'll admit the possibility that he may not fit the profile of a "fussy" eater.
In those cases, if my owners have tried multiple different brands and flavors to entice their dogs to eat and fail, then I recommend a daily vitamin/mineral supplement since their diet won't be balanced otherwise. Either that or contact a veterinary nutritionist to formulate a special diet for their pet (however, this is a very expensive service).

Since you haven't tried a different brand or flavor of dog food, this is where I'd start. I wouldn't put any human food in with it, though; just offer it to him by itself.
Hopefully, he'll take to a new flavor as eagerly as he used to eat his current food.

I hope this helps. Deb

Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Garry:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And, best of luck with Charlie. I hope you are able to find a different flavor which he'll like without too much trouble (which is what I would expect). Kind regards, Deb

Please ignore the information request.