Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My cavalier King Charles had tip of the tail clipped off by

My cavalier King Charles had tip of the tail clipped off by door hinges a couple of weeks ago and tail was amputated centimetre below break and bandaged up. He has finally managed to get bandage off but ever since surgery has been stressed, panting a lot, losing weight, just staying in his bed. It's like he's ashamed or something. Any advice?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today. Is he on any medication since the surgery?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He had antibiotics and some anti anxiety meds and pain killers which he is still on
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
OK, I am worried primarily about pain. How much does he weigh, and what dose of medication is he taking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
7.5 kg and 1.5 tablets once a day remadyl
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
OK, that is the most Rimadyl he can have. I think it would be appropriate to add other pain medication as a trial. We can use tramadol or gabapentin for that purpose - these must be prescribed by your regular vet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome! Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.