Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My 10 yr old staff has been heavy panting days now ,,,

My 10 yr old staff has been heavy panting for 3 days now ,,, been seen by vet ,, vet said nothing is wrong ,,, but I no there is ,,, she has never been like this befor ,,,, ??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.

Did your vet check for back pain, or give any pain medication?
Is your dog still doing stairs normally and jumping up and down from furniture like normal and in and out of the car, or is she avoiding these things or acting tentative?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Vet checked heart rate and temp , no temp Tia is going up and down as normal , but acting nervous and wanting to go under covers
Okay. This is either anxiety or pain. I am in the USA, so I am not terribly familiar with what drugs you have access to other there. Do you have access to Xanax, or Tramadol, or aspirin? How much does your dog weigh?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
22 k vet did say could be anxiety ,, but no meds given ,,, no I do not have any of tabs u asked about ,,, if anxiety what can cause this
Okay. Without any of those medications on hand, there is likely not much you can do tonight. But I would call your vet tomorrow and ask for some pain medication and some anti-anxiety medication to be prescribed, and see if that helps. If this seems worse at night, it could be the onset of dementia, which can cause anxiety. Those are the two paths I would pursue... back pain, or anxiety.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Diememtia ??
Dementia... like when people age and they start to get confused at night time? It happens in dogs just like in old people, and it can cause anxiety and behaviors like what you are seeing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tia is panting day time this is the first night time panting
Okay, good, then it is most likely just general anxiety or pain, and less likely a symptom of early dementia. I would have your vet prescribe pain medication and anti-anxiety medication and go from there. Best of luck!