Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My 8yr old husky has a ruptured ligament and needs surgery

Customer Question

My 8yr old husky has a ruptured ligament and needs surgery which he's having next week, I decided for him to have the basic surgical repair but now I'm not so sure and I'm wondering if it would be better for him to get an implant instead
Margaret
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello Margaret, I am sorry to hear about Jasper's ruptured ligament. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. It is hard to say what is best, ***** ***** X-rays, knowing if there is arthritis in the joint already, etc. In my experience, the bigger and more active the dog, the less likely the basic surgery will help. How much does Jasper weigh?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
In large dogs, I usually recommend the TPLO or TTA. For dogs under 35 pounds, especially if this is recent and there is not a lot of arthritis in the joint, the basic surgical repair will probably be enough. Another factor is the experience of the surgeon. If you have a very experienced surgeon, the basic technique might be better than an implant done by a less experienced surgeon.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Another important factor is post operative rehabilitation, controlling his movement and use of the leg to get the best healing. So you want to work with a surgeon that will work with you afterward, to be sure he is getting the right amount of exercise. One of the best healed ruptured surgeries I ever saw was done by the basic technique, but the owner worked with a veterinarian specializing in rehab and physical therapy, and the owner followed the exact recommendations. I could not tell by feeling the knees which one had the surgery, and that is unusual.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Let me know what else I can help with or answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rebecca, Jasper is approx 28kg and as this happened very suddenly he was treated very quickly, I don't think he has arthritis in his joints as this wasn't mentioned in his x ray results, the surgeon does this procedure a lot so I'm not worried about that and he is happy enough to do the basic procedure, thank you for your answer that's put my mind at ease

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome! I hope it goes well. Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.
Kindly consider rating my answer, when all your questions are answered.
Rebecca