Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Amber is an old English Pointer lady (we think about 15) she

Customer Question

Amber is an old English Pointer lady (we think about 15) she has had a number of operations, Gall Bladder removed, tail removed due to a viscose lump on her tail and a rather large lump removed on her neck. She's had blood test and her Liver count was way up so she is on liver enzyme tablets (zino something or other) she is very larthagic, not eating well, very hot, gunky eyes and sleeps a lot. Is eating very little (compared to what she used to eat, when we had to count our fingers). More importantly she is shivering a lot, which I know is a sign of stress (ilnness or a specific problem). I've made an appointment to take her to our wonderful local vets, but I feel (and know) the worst decision possible maybe upon us?? Am I right.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Amber...these signs that you describe could be due to the escalating liver disease or a combination of other organs that may be failing such as her kidneys. The anorexia cold be due to liver disease and the eye issues is often seen with kidney disease. There is a good chance that she has multiple organ involvement. If this is the case, there may be little that your vet can do for your sweet girl. I am sure your vets will rerun the lab wrk since this can change dramatically over a short period of time with disease. I would not be surprised if there is a caner involved causing this multiple organ issue. With the testing, your vet will direct you to the best possible treatment or other to relieve Amber's discomfort. I know this is a terrible thing to have to consider but you have to look at your precious Ambers quality of life...if this is diminished without any treatment to help her past this, then it may be the time.... Give yourself time to make this terrible decision according to the testing by your vet. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr Loretta,

Thanks for your swift and comprehensive reply. I think you've confirmed what I was thinking but didn't want to admit to myself, haven't got a clue how I'm going to tell the wife all of this. I'm sure the test will confirm either way, but I don't want Amber to suffer, so I'll make the decision based on feedback fro the vets analysis. Thanks. Steve.

You are very welcome , Steve...I know how hard this can be on you and your family but Amber's quality of life is the most important, as you are aware....I know you will do what is best for your recious gal!!

Thank you so much, Steve, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Steve and your family and your precious Amber!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Loretta,

After a couple of further scans which confirmed our worse thoughts, and still under sedation we had to take the hardest decision ever and Amber passed away peacefully on Friday.

Thank you for your kind thoughts and feedback.

Kindest regards

Steve

Oh Steve...I am so sorry!! At least you know that this was the best for your precious Amber after further scans.

I know how hard this is Steve and my heart goes out to you and your family!!!