Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has cystitis can you prescribe a remidy

Customer Question

my dog has cystitis can you prescribe a remidy for this
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. A simple bacterial cystitis in a female dog is addressed with an appropriate systemic antibiotic for 10-14 days prescribed by Candy's vet. A broad spectrum antibiotic thought to be effective may be chosen or one can be specifically chosen after a bacterial culture and sensitivity has been performed. Two days after the course of antibiotics is completed, Candy's urine should be rechecked to make sure that her urinary tract has been sterilized.
There are no reliably effective over the counter remedies or home treatments for this kind of cystitis in dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Please feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Candy, please?