Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My dog broke her dew claw yesterday. Vet removed hanging portion

Customer Question

My dog broke her dew claw yesterday. Vet removed hanging portion and put in a bandage. Is it okay to walk my dog
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear what happened to Scout. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
It should be OK to go on walks, but I would wait a few days before doing any really long walks. This is going to be sore for the next few days, so I would limit the walks at first. My dog is used to 3 mile walks, and if she tore her nail, I would limit her to a mile or less for the first 2 to 3 days, and even less if she is limping.
If she seems comfortable, and is not limping, I would go back to normal activity in about 3 days.
Let me know what else I can answer. I hope she is better soon.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.
Rebecca