Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I had my 9year old cavelier to the vets this morning due to

Customer Question

i had my 9year old cavelier to the vets this morning due to her seeming to be in pain overnight, malformation? was mention the vet gave her 2 injections unsurte wht they were but since she has had them she seems very dopy, not sleepy tho wont eat or drink looks like she is just giving up, i am really worried about her can you give me any advise, i have brought her to bed in a dark room to see if that will help her to sleep, but doesnt seem to be working, she is oanting a lot and feels like her heart rate is very fast
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Belle. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
The malformation that was mentioned was probably "syringomyelia" or "Chiari like malformation", a condition seen in this breed, where there is malformation where the skull joins the spine, causing painful episodes. Since dogs are born with this condition, we usually see them show symptom or act painful earlier than 9 years of age.
She could also have a pinched nerve or inflamed disc in her neck or spine. She could have pain from internal disease.
So the first thing is to make her comfortable, treat her pain. I see she got some injections, but did she get any pain medication to take home?
The next thing is to get a diagnosis, and find out where the problem is. I would start with blood tests and Xrays. Sometimes further diagnositics and imaging are needed; to diagnose Chiari like malformation you have to do special imaging like CT or MRI. Once we know what the problem is, what the diagnosis is, we know the best treatment.
If you check her gums, are they pink in color, or do they look pale?
Will she eat or drink at all?
Can you count how many times her heart is beating in a minute? Count the beats for 15 seconds, and multiply by 4.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, unfortunatley Belle passed away, i took her to the vets at 2.30am this morning hwere they are arranging fior her to get cremated.