Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My rottweiller us 9 years old, normally fit and well/ today

Customer Question

Hi. My rottweiller us 9 years old, normally fit and well/ today 20 minutes into our walk she stopoed , appeared glazed over unsteady on her feet . it took some time for her to recover before I could safely walk her slowly back to the car.
She has slept since back, easily rousable, just sleeping. She's taken fluids on our return. I'm wondering if she's had a fit?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Rottwieler. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
This could have been a mini or partial seizure, which involves the neurologic system/brain. It could also have been an episode of syncope, which is related to the heart not pumping enough blood to the brain for a few seconds. These two things, syncope and a partial seizure, can be difficult to tell apart.
If she were mine, I would watch to see if it happens again, and if it does, check the color of her gums. WIth syncope (heart related) her gum might look pale during the episode, with a siezure (brain) the gums would probably stay a normal bright pink color.
I would also consider having her blood pressure checked, and an EKG run to see if there is an underlying problem.
Let me know if you have any more questions. Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou for your reply. I'm a cardiac nurse, which may or may not help, I didn't check her gums at the time, but I did notice that her heart did appear slow but as I was in a bit of panicked state I don't know how accurate it was. I have listened since we got back and appears normal now.
I will however as you suggest keep an eye on her today and get her bloods/ blood pressure and EKG Tomorrow. Or before of course if happens again before that.
Many thanks for you help
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome! I hope this does not happen again.
Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else. KIndly consider rating my answer when all your questions have been answered and let me know how she is doing.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Sarah,
How is your Rottweiler doing?

Rebecca