Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Rebeca,i think my dog has an ear infection..i have

Customer Question

hello Rebeca, i think my dog has an ear infection..i have been walking him on the beach the other day and the wind was wild :( last night he didn't sleep and he was shacking and scratching his ear..some brown liquid is also coming out from his ear(i take good care of him and i clean his ears and use ear drops to clean them so i don't think it is dirt) it is Sunday today and the vet clinic is closed.i was wondering if i can give him Kesium 250mg.i have them home from the vet from a previous skin problem.he is a pug 8kg,2 years old thank you

Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for requesting me! I am sorry to hear about Benji.
If you want to try the Kesium, he would take 1/2 every 12 hours. However, ear infections often do not respond to oral antibiotics. Usually I treat an ear infection by cleaning the ear and applying antibiotics drops into the ear.
You could try to clean the ear with a mixture of vinegar and water, putting a couple droppers full into the ear, massaging well, and letting him shake. After he shakes, clean the ear and everything he shakes out with cotton balls or a soft cloth.
Gently cleaning all you can out of the ear, and maybe the antibiotics may help until you can have him checked out by your vet tomorrow. If the ear seems painful, you can also give 1/2 to 1 low dose aspirin, with food, once to twice daily.
Again, thanks for requesting me. Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

you are very welcome.thank you for helping me Smile

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Cristina,
How is Benji's ear?

Rebecca