Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have a chocolate lab, neutered male, about 5 or 6 years old.

I have a chocolate lab, neutered male, about 5 or 6 years old. Has become very lethargic, balance seems to be very poor, can stand but tends to fall to his left. Eyes are almost closed & appear to be running liquid like tears. He refused his normal dried food this morning although I did get him to eat some tinned food. He has been slightly sick since but didn't bring everything back. I haven't seen him drink. He seems to be getting more lethargic & listless as the day goes by.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
The fact he is worsening makes this an emergency situation. I recommend you take him in to be seen today. For a labrador to refuse food is not a good sign.
Unfortunately his symptoms are vague (lethargy, falling over and not eating) and could indicate any on of a list of problems ranging from bleeding abdominal tumor (especially spleen) to primary cerebral (brain) issue like a stroke-type event to vestibular syndrome (balance issues) to toxin exposure and the list continues. Most of these items are highly concerning.
I wish I had an easy at-home solution but I do not. In regret to say in order to diagnose him and give you proper advice I too would need to do an exam and likely some lab testing that might include a complete blood count, chemistry profile with electrolytes, urine check and possibly X-rays.
If you are unable to get him in there is not a lot you can do at home other than tempt him to eat with his favorites and encourage him to rest and drink as normal.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.