Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog start vomiting blood last few hours what can i do

Customer Question

Hi ,my dog start vomiting blood last few hours what can i do ? Im very worring she keeps making noseise aswell she is not well
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Did she get into anything?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
3- How much does she weigh?
4- Is she currently on any medications?
5- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is not on medications her weights is 26 kilo ,her gums pink . I took her to park todsy she was eating grass since we got back she started womiting first was normal vomit then blood star coming out and she is diarrhea blood coming out aswell
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Pinar, bloody vomit and diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Toxicity, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes.
In this case, if you have access to ER veterinarian I would strongly recommend having her checked tonight by ER vet for supportive care, blood work and xrays as initial screening test. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until she is seen by family veterinarian:
1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.
4- Follow up with in the morning with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter