Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I have had my dog, Jesse now since 12th Sept 2014,

Customer Question

I have had my dog, Jesse now since 12th Sept 2014, we were told quite soon after his check up that he had mite, which he caught from him mother, breastfeeding.
Jesse has had Advotcate every week since September, and 2 weeks ago, had Aludex, which made him very ill and sick for 3 days, so last week end we done just 1/2 his body and again he was sick a few times for a day.
what I would like to know, is how long should it take to treat mite? It just feels we are going nowhere with this, I no longer wish to use Aludex, I cant bear to see my Jesse so ill.
Please could you advise me ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Jesse. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
It sounds like Jesse has a case of mites called Demodex. Does he have it all over, or just in a few spots?
If you want to stop the Aludex, the next treatment to try is taking ivermectin by mouth, daily. I have had dogs that did better on ivermectin than amitraz (Aludex). I start them on a low daily dose, and gradually work up to a full strength dose.
It can take months to clear up a case of Demodex. I usually have the dog come in for skin scrapings every 2 weeks, and continue the ivermectin for at least a week after I don't see any mites.
I would ask your veterinarian about trying the ivermectin.
Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating. Let me know how he is doing.
Rebecca