Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My springer spaniel h-is 11 years old - perfectly fit except

Customer Question

my springer spaniel h-is 11 years old - perfectly fit except he has lost any power in his back legs and drags his left leg
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. How long has Harvey had this problem? I expect it came on very gradually?You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my dog - Harvey became listless over the may Bank holiday - we took him to the vet who examined him - said he was fine - the lump I was worried about was a fat ball - he had an xray - went the next day for futher examination - no real problem - he may have a slight heart problem.

He is eating very well and going to the toilet as normal. I am 84 and I am trying to carry him or lift him , on to the sofa.

His nose is wet and other than very poor movement in his back legs - particularly his left leg he is as normal.

Hello again and thanks for the quick reply,Sorry to hear about Harvey's condition, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Older dogs commonly start to get a bit slow on their hind legs due to conditions such as arthritis but this would have been easily visible to your vet on X-ray. If he is otherwise normal and the condition is getting worse then your could be dealing with some kind of spinal problem in the lower back which is pressuring the spinal cord itself and so affecting the nerve supply to Harvey's hind legs. This can sometimes be difficult to visualise on x-ray alone. But rarer degenerative diseases of the spinal cord are also possible. 2. I wish there was some easy solution I could offer you but given the work you have put in already sadly this is not the case. You may learn more by having your vet arrange a CT scan or similar this will often show more than an X-ray can, and sometimes strong anti-inflammatory drugs such as steroids can make a difference as opposed to plain pain killers. you may want to run these points past your vet ... I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Brenda,
I am just checking back in to see how Harvey is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his hind leg problems.
How are things going with him?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.