Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog is a CFCs ans suffers from epilepsy, cluster seizures

Customer Question

Hi, my dog is a CFCs ans suffers from epilepsy, cluster seizures every 28 days. He is on keppra, gabapentin, Pexion, prednisilone (he had severe immune mediated haemolytic anaemia post inoculation and nearly died), omiprazole and metronidazole (high gut motility and very pungent flatus). I am wondering if Colorado might reduce gut motility and what the dosage level would be. I know that dogs are sensitive to me everyone and would appreciate your guidance.
Robin
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Robin, please clarify "Colorado" for me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Dr Salkin, thanks for replying. Apologies for "typos", predictive text sucks. CFCs should have been CKCS. Colorado should have been Colofac and the last sentence should have read " I know that these dogs are sensitive to Mebeverine and would appreciate your guidance"
Thank you, Robin. This is what I found concerning mebeverine and dogs: "Effects in repeat-dose studies after oral and parenteral doses were indicative of central nervous involvement with behavioural excitation, mainly tremor and convulsions. In the dog, the most sensitive species, these effects were seen at oral doses equivalent to 3 times the maximum recommended clinical dose of 400mg/day based on body surface area (mg/m2) comparisons." Hence, this drug is avoided in dogs. In fact, Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, 8th Ed., 2015, doesn't list mebeverine as a veterinary drug at all.
I would consider over the counter loperamide (Imodium) for your purposes. It's dosed at 0.1-0.2 mg/kg every 8-12 hours. Loperamide is a synthetic opiate used as a GI motility modifier in dogs. Constipation, bloat, and sedation are the most likely adverse reactions encountered when usual doses are used.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Please disregard the info request.