Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My dog eats her own feaces, is there anything I can do too

Customer Question

My dog eats her own feaces, is there anything I can do too prevent this
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Poppy. I know no one ever wants to see their little one eating their own stool. It is an unpleasant act to see. It is something that does happen with some dogs. The eating of one's own stool is called coprophagia. I like to send owners to this website that goes into great detail explaining this and what can be done for it. Please read it and let me know what questions it brings up. It goes over behavioral and medical causes for it and what can be done to treat it.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/coprophagia-in-dogs-behavior/154