Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

The dog has diarrhea but no other symptoms days seems

the dog has diarrhea but no other symptoms for 4 days seems ok in every other way
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Any blood in the stool?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
3- How much does she weigh?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no blood in stool, has a skin condition and has tablets half every other day but I don't know the name of the drug at the moment. she was getting excited about a water hose and i think she could have swallowed too much water. she is quite small and probably weighs around 3 lbs

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Melanie, diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:
1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.
4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i guess a lot of what you have replied is good sense. she seems to be o.k. but then runs to the door and when I let her out she poos, so she knows it's coming and is in control of it. the tablets she is taking are steroids and only for a dry skin condition. her irritation is sometimes non existent so we just give her half a table if she scratches and not just everyday. as i said, she is fascinated with water and i think she may have taken in a lot as she was biting the water flow do you think it could be because of the forced ingestion of water? as i said, she is otherwise o.k. except for her lack of interest in her wet food so we gave her a couple of meaty strips yesterday and one markie, but this evening she still had the problem. she may be drinking a lot of water as well. can dogs get diarrhea from too much water

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Yes Melanie, the stool consistency is affected by water consumption. It is possible she is drinking more than usual because of the steroids, it is a common side effect. It is also important to rule out diseases that would cause increases in water consumption like: Diabetes, infections, kidney disease, etc. I would recommend you discuss with family veterinarian about doing some blood work (chemistry profile & CBC) and urinalysis to make sure her increase water consumption is not related to a systemic disease.
In light of this additional information I would not keep her off water for 8-12 hours as I described above, instead just keep her off food and water for 4-6 hours. Then, follow the rest of the recommendation as above.
Please reply if you have additional questions.
Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

;thank you that is a relief. she is quiet in her bed now so it will be easy to remove the water for 4-6 hours. We will take her to the RSPCA as soon as possible. she is registered with the Sondeburg Road branch and they have seen suzy several times over the years.

thank you very much for the answers. it is a relief to think she is just a bit ill from the water ingestion. i don't give her human food but her owner sometimes lets her lick his dinner plate so maybe she had a bit too much of that. she needs a checkup and will do that a.s.a.p.

thanks again for your help it has made it easier for me this evening.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome Melanie. :)
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.