Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 2yr old yorkshire terrier has chewed a 14ml bottle

Hello my 2yr old yorkshire terrier has chewed a 14ml bottle of Otodex Veterinary Ear Drops at 6.30am this morning, she is ok at present but I am very worried this my caused her system problems can you help please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

am please to hear from you as I am very worried about my Maisie thanks

Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Good news! : There is nothing in Ototodex ear drops which is particularly toxic to dogs if swallowed in small amounts as may have occurred in your case, you may see a mild transient bout of gastro-enteritis but perhaps not even that. I will give you a few common sense tips on how to handle this below just in case it occurs, but hopefully this will not be necessary.2. Some owners try and control the situation { vomiting and / or diarrhoea } with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A couple of teaspoons twice a day should be fine for a dog the size of Maisie.Of course if treatment becomes necessary and any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side. { Very unlikely under the circumstances } I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply that has put my mind at rest

No problem very glad to have advised you. I should be available online for the next couple of hours so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes or you would like to talk things over further. Kindest regards, *****