Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My dog hans addisons and is on florinef she has suddenly become

Customer Question

My dog hans addisons and is on florinef she has suddenly become very lethargic and has been a little sick is she having an episode and what shoul I do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your dog. I'm so sorry she's having trouble, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
I want to get this information in your hands as quickly as possible...please forgive me if I appear abrupt.
Vomiting, weakness, and appetite loss can indicate an emergency crisis for a dog with Addison's.
Please tell me if you also have prednisone on hand for her.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
In the meantime, I'll do my best to provide the information you need.
Managing a dog who has Addison's is a delicate balancing act. They are at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to coping with any type of stress - whether that stress comes from an illness or something in their social life or environment.
Because of the possibility of a life-threatening Addisonian crisis, I would take these symptoms very serious and get veterinary care right away.
Yes, it's true that this may turn out to be something less serious, but she needs blood work and thorough veterinary evaluation to make that determination. There is no way to be sure what is going on without that.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Just checking in to ask how your dog is doing. Do you have any questions after reviewing the information I provided above?
Please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.