Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My hungarian vizsla had her first litter of 7 pups 4 days ago,

My hungarian vizsla had her first litter of 7 pups 4 days ago, and is bleeding quite abit. All the pups are healthy although it took her 12 hours to give birth to them. There is a small puddle and some clots every 3 hours or so but has no smell. And she is eating well and is willing to go out in the garden. Is this normal?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your vizsla. I'm sorry she's having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say, then clicking REPLY. That way we can continue chatting back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
This is a good question. I'm glad everyone (mom and pups) is acting well, but this kind of discharge could indicate there is a problem. Some bleeding and discharge is normal for several days following whelping, but every dog is different.
Some dogs will bleed for several WEEKS following whelping, so this doesn't necessarily raise any alarms. But...
To be on the safe side, I'd encourage you to have her examined by a veterinarian who does a lot of canine reproductive work. The vet can look at the bloody fluid under the microscope for evidence of infection. An ultrasound examination will show if there is still something in her uterus or some other condition that is causing her to continue to bleed. While there may not be a problem, if there IS one, you'll want to find out about it sooner rather than later.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for you advice! I'm aware that some dogs can bleed from 4 to 8 weeks after giving birth, but I'm quite concerned at the amount, as some forums online say it should be a little more blood than when she is in season, but it is considerably more than that.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Yes, good thinking. I'd be worried about the quantity too, and would feel safer having it checked out.
One additional thought... if she were my patient I'd want to run a clotting profile on her just to make sure this isn't a *bleeding* disorder as opposed to a uterine problem.