Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My little bishon had bloods done a couple of days ago and they

Customer Question

My little bishon had bloods done a couple of days ago and they came back normal, she had liver and intestine problems but has been sorted, she is on prescription food but she is so happy running around full of energy then at 1am she was very tired and we let her out to go toilet she stopped turned around to see if we were going out with her than she shook her head and lost balance then she got up again then fell again we brought her in the house and she cried as she was scared we rubbed her down then mum said do you want food she jumped up and had some food and water than was fine and has been since - do you have any answers?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. How old is your Bichon, please? Her transient ataxia ("drunken sailor") can indicate a vestibular (balance) event (vertigo, e.g.), syncopy ("fainting") often due to cardiovascular disease (arrhythmia/irregular heart rate, e.g.), or even a simple partial seizure (previously called petit mal). All three etiologies can manifest as you've described and so her vet needs to be consulted once again. Additional blood work may be necessary and I would ask her vet to carefully auscultate (listen to) her heart as well as to scope her ears for any evidence of inner/middle ear inflammation which might underlie vertigo.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update, please?