Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

He is a male 15 to 16 years, cross between German shepherd

He is a male 15 to 16 years, cross between German shepherd and a collie. Drinking huge amounts of water, back legs very very weak, gone off food, heavy panting, exhausted, incontinent and very lathagic.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In addition my dog is male, and is running a temperature, dry nose and laboured breathing
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. This does not sound good I am afraid. Of all the serious symptoms you describe drinking excessively is the main one and even on it's own it would always be a cause for concern, the chances are that this is the clue to what is wrong and the symptoms are in some way related to it. 2. What I will do though is to talk you through just some of the possible causes of excess drinking [ polydipsia ] that I know. This is the personal list I use when presented with a dog like yours, the chances are that the disease your dog is suffering from is here somewhere here.1. Diabetes mellitus - sugar diabetes - easy diagnosis via blood test2. Diabetes insipidus - rare but does happen - catches vets out !3. Kidney problems - diagnosed by blood tests4. Chronic hepatitis - diagnosed via blood tests5. Cushings syndrome3. Since there is such a range of diagnosis the only advice I can give you is that you should have your dog checked over by your vet sooner rather than later. There is rarely any scope for home remedies in this sort of situation. A quick blood test will very often shed light on the matter, but as I said given his age and these symptoms then this does not sound at all good. Sorry I cannot safely suggest anything more constructive ... I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }