Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I am feeding my 9 week old Labrador James Wellbeloved puppy

Customer Question

Hi I am feeding my 9 week old Labrador James Wellbeloved puppy food the packet advise says for the estimated weight of the adult dog at 2 months she should be on 270g of food this seems like so much food! My pup eats so quickly food is gone in a second I don't want to make her sick by feeding her too much but I also don't want to under feed her.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Roxi's feeding plan. I'm sorry you're worried and - yes - it's confusing, but I'm glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say, then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
At 9 weeks of age, Roxi is in the "Honeymoon Period" when it comes to feeding. Only with great effort can an owner manage to cause obesity in a puppy this age. They're too active, too busy doing other things, and they tend to fall asleep before over eating.
That being said, please rest assured that the guidelines printed on the package are only that - a guideline. Every puppy's response is different.
The labeled recommendation can be your starting point. If it causes problems, change what you are doing. If Roxi vomits a lot or has diarrhea, you'll need to make changes. If she gets skinny, feed her more. If she starts to look chunky, feed her less.
At this age, the most common recommendation is to offer a portion of food 3 times daily. Let her eat what she is interested in consuming over a few minutes, then as soon as she gets distracted, take it away. Over the next few weeks, you'll be able to cut that down to twice daily.
Does this information help to answer your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you unfortunately my Roxi isn't the type of puppy that gives up so her bowl is finished before she stops! I am taking the bowl away mid way so that she can catch her breath! Am I right in thinking that an average female lab will be around 25kg?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Actually the typical adult weight is more like 35kg. There's a wide range, though.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
And understand what you're saying about your pup wanting to wolf down the whole package all at once. Some will do that. You'll know she's overeaten if she looks bloated and feels uncomfortable afterwards. No permanent harm will occur, and the worst she may do is throw up.
She may also learn something. ;-)