Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is a 10 year old cavalier, just lately after a walk

my dog is a 10 year old cavalier, just lately after a walk he has been having a few spasam's and he seems uncomfortable for a few minutes.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Where are you seeing the spasm?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
3- Any other symptoms?
4- Is he on any medications?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the spasm can be any where on his body, but today they were on his back end, he has no other problems with his health, and he is not on any medication.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- So basically your are seeing trembling, correct?
2- How much does he weigh?
3- This only occurs after a walk, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes it looks like trembling, I am not sure of his weight, but he is not over weight, and it only happens after a walk.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Jayne, what you are describing is often seen in patients that are experiencing either pain, weakness or a combination of both secondary to neuromuscular problems like: Arthritis, a pinched nerve along the back, etc.
I would recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian. Discuss with your vet about starting him on a prescription anti inflammatory medication like Rimadyl (carprofen). In the meantime, you can begin to supplement with Cosequin (glucosamine) long term. The glucosamine will help by promoting the production of joint fluid; it may take several weeks for the glucosamine to work. You can buy glucosamine over the counter in any pet store.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter