DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My dog is not herself she is 12years old her lip on her botton

my dog is not herself she is 12years old her lip on her botton jaw looks swollen my vet is closed till tomorrow does she need to see a vet today
Category: Dog
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. A swollen lower lip could come from a bug bite, an allergic reaction to something, a cut or injury inside the mouth, or an infection or mass in the mouth. You can carefully look around her mouth if she'll let you and look for any injuries or masses or broken teeth. These things might need to be seen right away.Other reasons she would need to be seen immediately include..if she will not eat or drink at all, is feverish (very depressed, nonresponsive, or seizuring), or can not get up on her own. If she will eat and drink a little bit. You can try to help the swelling by giving Benadryl. You didn't say what size the dog was, but generally the dose is 1 mg per lb body weight. So a 25 lb dog would get 25 mg. Or about 3 mg per kg body weight. If the dog is very young or very small err on the side of under dosing rather than overdosing.I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.