Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog has constipation - only managing a very small amount

My dog has constipation - only managing a very small amount of poo for each of the last 3/4 days. Could this have been caused by a milbemax chewy worming tablet given her on 17th May? If so what can I do to rectify matters?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Bonnie is not passing stools normally.
I would not expect a Milbemax (active ingredients Milbemycin oxime and praziquantel) to lead to constipation. In some cases it can cause looser than normal stools and in some cases loss of appetite, and in those cases we could see less stools produced simply due to less ingesta present.
If her appetite is normal then I don't think that the Milbemax is involved in any way.
And if she is still eating and drinking normally and not vomiting there are a few things we can do to help her.
One is to increase fiber by adding canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal. One to two tablespoon to each meal to start.
These are just guidelines, you can adjust the amount based on her ease passing stool as well as whether her stool is too soft.
If you have Miralax you can use that instead of the pumpkin. Sprinkle 1/8 th to 1/4 of a teaspoon on her meals. If you use Miralax make sure to increase her fluid intake as it works by drawing fluids into the intestines and can lead to dehydration if her fluid intake isn't increased enough.
Increasing the amount of fluids in her diet in general will help as well. You can add low salt chicken or beef broth to her food. The more fluids she takes in the better so if she likes to lick ice cubes give her those as well.
Slow walks can also sometimes help to get the intestinal tract moving properly.
If she is vomiting or no longer eating we are probably beyond home therapy. She needs to see a veterinarian. But you can use the above tips for preventative measures in the future. And if she seems to have chronic troubles with constipation pumpkin or Miralax can be used chronically if needed.
You might also wish to add a probiotic to get her gut bacteria back to normal. Fortiflora, Proviable or Benebac are very good options.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your answer. Bonnie has shown no discomfort either when exercising or when I rubbed her tummy. I will take your advice and increase her fluid intake, she does normally have a dry diet but I can add low salt broth or canned pumpkin as you suggest. She is still eating and drinking as normal but appears more lethargic, she is just not her usual lively self. Is this also a symptom of constipation in dogs?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
She may have some cramping or an overly full feeling that can go along with constipation. I am glad to hear that she is still eating well.
I would use pumpkin and increase her fluid intake both, hopefully she will come along quicker that way. If she is not significantly better by Monday/Tuesday though it would be best to have her examined.
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.