Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My large 5 year old dog who is usually very active just wants

Customer Question

My large 5 year old dog who is usually very active just wants to lie around and keeps panting. He does not look that depressed and is taking notice of what is going on. He also seems to be licking his feet a lot. He is passing water but have not seen him have a bowel movement for the last 24 hours at least but he is not straining or had diarrohea. He has not been sick to my knowledge. Advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Lethargy, panting, and inappetence are important symptoms but they aren't pathognomonic for any one disorder. If these persisted for more than 72 hours, it would be prudent to have Chunk's vet take a look at him.
Licking the feet a lot, however, usually indicates atopy - allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites. Food intolerance can cause that licking as well but is seen far less commonly than atopy. It's important to check the paw and interdigitally (between the toes) to see if a pododermatitis (inflammation of the foot) or interdigital pyoderma (bacterial infection between the toes) exists which could be addressed with systemic and topical antibiotics.
It's unusual for an allergic dermatitis to cause inappetence unless my patient is severely affected; hence, unless Chunk remisses unaided within 72 hours, his vet should search for another etiology for Chunk's malaise. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks.

regards,

Sally.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Please disregard the info request.