Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

Found our dog chewing narcissus bulbs. Don't know if any swallowed.

Found our dog chewing narcissus bulbs. Don't know if any swallowed. Does he need to go to emergency vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.
Unfortunately yes these bulbs can be quite toxic:
The Narcissus plant contains phenanthridine alkaloids which include the toxic glycosides lycorine, galantamine and scillaine, along with the antimitotic narciclasine, according to the "Toxicity of Houseplants." The highest concentration of these poisons is in the bulbs, warns CNN Living. The bulbs also contain oxalate crystals, which can cause poisoning and contact dermatitis when a dog or human touches them. While poisoning isn't common because the bulbs taste bitter, if your pup eats any of your paper white bulbs, get him to the vet right away.
After ingesting any parts of a Narcissus or paper white bulb, your dog may experience vomiting, excessive salivation and diarrhea. If large portion of the bulbs is ingested, the pup may also suffer from convulsions, a drop in blood pressure, tremors and cardiac arrhythmia
The emergency vet can provide your pup with supportive care, including the gastric lavage to clean out the dog's stomach, and may also administer intravenous fluids and active charcoal to clear the poisons from Wailey's system.
I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!