Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My 15 month old Little Maltese, since yesterday has not

Hi, my 15 month old Little Maltese, since yesterday has not been herself, she seems to have the snuffles is very lethargic and just wants to be cuddled all the time. She isn't usually like that. Is normally full of energy and fun. She's just sleeping and her breathing seems laboured. I will take her to our Vets in the morning in the mean time could you advise me please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
I'm sorry that poor Molly is not feeling well. It sounds very much like she has congestion associated with an early respiratory infection. That is the cause of the snuffle sand labored breathing. The reason she is so lethargic is that likely she is running a fever which will make dogs sleepy and often drops or stops their appetite. There really isn't anything safe or effective to give her so the best thing to do is to wait until morning so we don't give anything that may interfere with what the vet will give tomorrow. What you can do however to help with the congestion is to give her a steam treatment by putting her into a bathroom with a hot shower running so she can breathe in the steam and help with her sinuses. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan