Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My small dog has chewing gum stuck in the roof of his mouth

my small dog has chewing gum stuck in the roof of his mouth and will not allow me to take it out. Advice please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. I doubt very much if this will turn into a serious incident of any sort, if the gum stays there for a few days it will not harm him and if it detaches and he then swallows it again this would rarely have any serious consequences. 2. The best thing to do is just treat him as normal in terms of food and drink for the next 48 hours, the chances are it will detach on it's own. If it is still there after that then your vet will be easily able to handle things for you. 3. The only serious risk I can think of would be if this gum contains Xylitol , ( some sugar free gums do) as this can be toxic to dogs, if you suspect this is the case then get back to me for further advice. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.