Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

8yr old normally healthy active dog vomiting clear bile lethargic

8yr old normally healthy active dog vomiting clear bile lethargic panting on and off not eating drinks when coaxed from my hand how often should I give him small handfuls of water to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn your dog is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today and try to provide some guidance. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
3- Did he get into anything?
4- How often is he vomiting?
5- How long since the last time he vomited?
6- How much does he weigh?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1 Vomited 2-3times this morning, hasn't vomited since.
2. No other medical problems
3. Unaware of him getting at anything but realise not impossible
4. See 1
5. Approx 10hrs
6. Average weight though slight overweight due to bit less excercise due to
my injury
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Any other symptoms?
2- Can you take his rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No more symptoms sorry don't have thermometer Available
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lethargy and no appetite
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Isobel, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions that affect dogs. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, pancreatitis, etc. to name a few causes. His lack of appetite is most likely related to not feeling well from what ever is causing him to vomit. If he is panting on and off this could be an indication of things like: A fever, pain, etc. which could also cause him to vomit.
In this case, I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime, this is what you can do:
1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start hims on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. I know you are concern about dehydration. But, we need to give his GI time to rest so that when you do offer food or water he is able to absorb it without vomiting.
3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter