Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a two year old labrador . She has recently become

I have a two year old labrador bitch. She has recently become quite aggressive for no apparent reason, at random times throughout the day. When I took a plastic cup away from her yesterday, she spun around and had my entire hand within her mouth. Fortunately she didn't break the skin, but next time things might not end so well. She also has panic attacks where something freaks her out and her pupils become huge and she races around the room, back and forth, like something possessed. My local vet has tried homoeopathic treatments - arsennicum and belladonna, but these have not been effective. Please can you help, because if someone does get bitten I shall have no option but to have Nala destroyed, a course of action that I really do not want to follow? The rest of the time Nala is a sweet dog with a lovely nature who everyone falls in love with.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Nala's condition. The first thing is to make sure that your vet runs a complete blood work and xrays to rule out any metabolic cause for this unpredictable behavior. If this is ruled out, it is best to consult a Veterinary Behaviorist and you can find one near you at this LINK

Strong medications such as Fluoxetine along with Xanax to decrease Nala's anxiety will help retrain her so this aggressive tendency does not come out. The behaviorist will help you with this.

Since you are considering euthanasia due to the seriousness nature of this behavior, this is worth a try and can be very effective.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Sorry but i forgot to say tht the vet has already carried out a range of blood tests which all came back clear. I hv just visited vets and she is now trying a course of Stramonium. Like me the vet is concerned tht problem is escalating rather than diminishing. I also obtained contact details for a dog behaviourist from the vet. Thanks for yr advice.
Thanks Jacqueline.....I also forgot to mention that there also is a possibility of a brain tumor that is causing this escalation of symptoms. This will not show on any lab work and the only way to know for sure is an MRI....just something to consider if things do not improve for your precious gal.

Good luck, Jacqueline!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have also considered the possibility that the underlying cause might possibly be a brain tumour. I have spoken with the vet with regard to this and she has said that, should I wish to have one of these procedures, that the cost would be over £1000. I contacted my dog insurance company to request a claim form for the charges thus far, but when I explained what the problem was, the agent advised me that it was quite possible that they would not pay out on what they would deem to be a behavioural condition, rather than a medical one. Therefore I would not be able to afford to have an MRI scan for Nala and so would be unable to rule this diagnosis out..

It seems that your vet would be able to rule out a behavior issue but this is hard to prove. I am so sorry! Lets hope that medication can help Nala past this.
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.