Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent). Special interest in canine and feline medicine and surgery.
9138059

My beagle is nearly 4 years days she has diarrhoea

Hi my beagle is nearly 4 years for last days she has diarrhoea and sickness, that seems to have subsided now, but since 4 am since has not stopped pacing!,she lies down for a few seconds and then starts again
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 4 year old Beagle who has been pacing around the house since 4am. There are a number of potential reasons for your girl's current pacing behavior including anything from anxiety, to abdominal pain, to an urge to toilet. I am sure you have taken her outside to see if she needs to toilet (given her recent history these last few days), and I'm also sure you would know if this was just stress related.

Given your girls' history, it is likely she is nauseous. Please try and keep her quiet now if you can. This may be easier said than done if she continues to pace, however if she is nauseous, then a little pepcid may help her to settle. The typical dose is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of this here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is seems to be breathing rapidly throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, her capillary refill, seems to be fine for the moment, but will keep an eye on her, with this has just started crying and panting,

I am letting her out every 15 mind or so, but she does nothing but pace round the garden.

She keeps putting herself on the floor and stretching or leaving her but in the air, and really whinening.....think it may be a trip to the vets.....

Thank you for your advice

Unsure where to get pepcid from?

Kaymarie

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Kaymarie,

Thanks for your quick reply. Don't bother with the pepcid.

The symptoms your girl is now showing with the panting and the stretching out, definitely tells us she is in quite a bit of pain with her abdomen. The 'praying' posture you mention is very typical of abdominal pain in dogs, while the panting is a sign of quite bad pain.

If you can get her seen by a local vet now, please do.

Let me know how you get on if you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help today!

Returned from vets and she has teared her intestines. ...due to being sick and diarrhoea. ...um she has zantac and some antibiotics and had anti sickness. Injections.

she has finally settled down first time and is sleeping now, which is nice to see she is not suffering to much now.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
No problem Kaymarie,

Good on you for visiting your vet to follow up on this so promptly. It is great to hear she has finally settled down now! Great to hear.

Thanks again for the update.

Please don't forget to rate this service.

Kind Regards,

Dr E
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent). Special interest in canine and feline medicine and surgery.