Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My dog is a german shep around ten years old ..a month ago

my dog is a german shep around ten years old ..a month ago took here yo rspca Manchester and gave her some liquid medication for a limp...on Friday started slouching around. not eating very much but drinking her back legs are together when she gets up but with difficulty and she is peeing lay down with a powerful smell...please give some advice as I cant get her into my car single handed to visit vet??? thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.
I am so sorry no one has assisted you and Poppy yet today and that she is having such difficulties the past month.
There is a possibility that the pain medication for the limp is causing her distress and affecting her liver, kidneys, or stomach. I definitely would discontinue the medication in hopes of helping her feel better. If she is simply so ill that she is not getting up to urinate I am definitely concerned about her. You can try a few things at home but if she is not improving you can use a towel under her groin like a sling to assist her in getting up and hopefully into the car so that they can help you get her out once at the clinic.
- Begin pepcid (famotidine) 20 mg every 12 hours to help settle her stomach Pepcid2 in the UK which is over the counter antacid available at your local pharmacy.
- Offer a lean meat boiled and white rice which is bland, appetizing yet bulking to her intestinal tract
- Massage of her back and down her rear legs to stimulate blood flow and hopefully help her be able to move around with assistance. Doing this every few hours if possible
- Make sure she is rotated on each side every few hours. If on one side for too long it can cause pressure sores as well as issues with her lung expansion
I truly hope this helps get Poppy feeling a little better so that you are able to get her to the vet and reassess why she is having such a difficult time. My thoughts are with you both and again apologies that no one has assisted you yet today
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!