Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

I have a 7 month old Siberian Husky that has a problem

Hello, I have a 7 month old Siberian Husky that has a problem with diarrhea, he is fully up to date with worming, he has been checked for Giardia etc and all fine, I was told to fast him for 24hrs then put him on boiled rice and chicken but that made him worse, I was then advised to put him on a high protein feed which was still giving him bad diarrhea, I was told it would take a while to make a difference but this has been going on for over 3 months with no improvement, I know Huskies have very sensitive stomachs but we don't let him have any treats or table scraps so really confused as to why he's as bad as he is and changing his diet isn't working, I have been told some Huskies are allergic to Chicken but that is what my vet is recommending to feed him, any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
I agree, it seems that we are not seeing any improvement with him using this high protein chicken food. I do think we need to change our tactic here.
First, has he been losing weight?
Can you describe the diarrhea? Is it normal amounts of stool or very voluminous? Is it normal color or light tan/yellow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

He is gaining weight beautifully, he is already a very powerful dog. He is having a bowel movement around 4 times a day and I am having to take him out at 2am every morning or he with have an accident in his cage, (he is crate trained for the night time) The movement is a normal brown colour just very sloppy, when he was on the boiled rice and chicken it was almost like water.

Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
Excellent. I was concerned about the possibility of a condition called EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency), but based on your description I think it is unlikely.
There are a few other things to try. You mentioned he had been dewormed. Even though he has previously tested negative, there are cases of occult infection in which the test will not show positive. For that reason, I do recommend three concurrent medications for these pups with chronic diarrhea. I use Panacur, metronidazole and Albon at the same time (Panacur 5 days, metronidazole for 7 and Albon for 10). Then I consider all of our bases covered with regard to intestinal parasitism.
If no improvement with the 3 medications, then we try other diet changes. Some dogs will respond well to a high fiber diet (seems counterintuitive, I know). We can use a prescription diet called Hills W/D to check for this. If that does not work, some dogs will respond to a highly digestible diet. We can use a prescription diet called Hills I/D to check for this.
We can also consider adding a probiotic daily and starting weekly vitamin B12 injections. You can use a veterinary probiotic like Fortiflora or Proviable, or you can use an OTC human product like Culturelle.
Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** give that a try.

Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome!