Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My bichon frise dog is almost 3 years old and was house trained

Customer Question

My bichon frise dog is almost 3 years old and was house trained as a puppy. Over the past few weeks he has started seeing in the house. Up against the wall in the kitchen doorway, the dining room chair leg and people's shoes. What can I do to stop this
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Oakley. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Is he neutered?
Does he seem to be urinating more frequently than he used to do?
This is an Info Request, to help me answer your question.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No he is not neutered. He doesn't appear to be urinating more than usual he always urinates small amount very frequently on his walks
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
I would consider doing a urinalysis to see if he has a bladder infection; that can cause changes in urination.
However, this may just be due to not being neutered, and neutering him may be the cure. At his age, he is becoming emotionally and socially mature, and territorial marking may be due to this. I have seen several male dogs that started marking things like walls, chair and table legs, and even people, due to territorial marking, and neutering was the cure.
I would start with a urinalysis, and consider neutering if the urinalysis is normal. Let me know what else I can answer.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the good rating. Let me know how he is doing and what else I can answer.
Rebecca