Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Restless vomiting panting dog

Restless vomiting panting dog
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- How long has this been going on?
2- What is her breed?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- How much does she weigh?
5- Any other symptoms?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1 about six hours since she first vomited.
2 she is a manchester terrier.
3 no
4 about 12 kg
5 no just the above
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Vanessa, the symptoms that you are describing in Leff can be related to many different medical conditions that affect dogs. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause Leff is going to need a hands on examination by family veterinarian, xrays and blood work as initial screening test. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:
1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- No food or water for 12-16 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 12-16 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter