Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have question,My dog have 12 years old and have DEMODEX

Customer Question

Hello?I have question,My dog have 12 years old and have DEMODEX about 6 years,he have treatments at 4 years with IVERMECTIN injection,and had none good results,a vet gave me ALUDEX but i read the indications and i think is dengerous for 12 years old dog. and especially that has a tumor in the back and wee have a 3 years baby and i cant wash him,SO?I'd like to recommend a, medicine for demodex ,to be really effective.I heard about ADVOCATE ,and it would be better capsules?or or an antibiotic?the demodex disease is greatly expanded in the body ,and I would like some advice.THANK YOU
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I understand your reticence to expose your 3 year old to anything on Bobi's skin. That leaves the oral ivermectin that you felt wasn't helpful previously or oral milbemycin oxime. Ask your vet about prescribing Sentinel (milbemycin oxime + lufenuron) or Trifexis (milbemycin oxime + spinosad). The names of these products might be different in the UK. Milbemycin oxime dosed at 0.5-2 mg/kg orally every 24 hours results in a cure rate of 85-90% when addressing canine generalized demodicosis.
Advocate (imidacloprid) is not effective against Demodex. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.