Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 6 year old staff terrier is not well during the

Customer Question

My 6 year old bitch staff bull terrier is not well during the night last week she started panthing and her muscles got thence and tight and also fo***** *****ke saliva from her mouth this went on for about 6 7 minutes until she relaxed . I taught it might be something she had eating but for the last week or so she's being acting strange very jumpy and nervous and hiding in her kennel and not responding to calls just shaking nervously when called also screeched and ran to her kennel . She had a litter of pups 15 months ago and was also nutered afterwards , we also have a male who is bigger than her and also he is her son . I'm sorry this question is so big but I really need some advise thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You've described a partial seizure (previously called petit mal and now also called psychomotor seizure) which was evidenced by her panting, a motor sign (muscle tensing) and an autonomic sign (salivation). She's also exhibiting sensory signs associated with these seizures - acting "strange, jumpy, nervous", etc.
It would be prudent to have LuLu's vet take a look at her. We consider both intracranial (within the skull) etiologies for such seizures such as brain tumor as well as extracranial (outside the skull) etiologies such as a poorly functioning liver intoxicating the brain (hepatoencephalopathy). Her vet is likely to recommend diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in order to investigate an extracranial etiology. MRI is necessary to investigate intracranial etiologies.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.