Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 8 year old german shepherd Pixxie had to be pts 8 days ago

Customer Question

My 8 year old german shepherd Pixxie had to be pts 8 days ago due to apocrine carcenoma. (I think thats what it was called)The tumour was first noticed on the front side of her chest at the very top of her leg, it was the size of a tennis ball. After a biopsy was taken I was told nothing could be done, and she had 3 months left at the very most. She had 6 weeks, and I am in total bits as she was my baby. She had such a terrible life up until we got her 18months ago, she'd been used for breeding, then was no use when she became too old. Previous owners said she'd had fatty lumps removed from one of her teats as I noticed she had none,. My own vet said that Mammary strips are usually only done when cancer is present. Could I have done more for Pixxie?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am so sorry to hear that Pixxie had such a short life with such poor treatment before you, and a too soon ending.
I agree with your veterinarian that fatty tumors would not lead to a total mastectomy, that sort of extreme surgery is reserved for mammary cancer.
Apocrine carcinomas have variable behavior depending upon their type based upon what is seen on a biopsy. Inflammatory carcinomas expand and grow extremely quickly and metastasize to regional lymph nodes and the lungs. I suspect that this is the type she had based upon your veterinarian's comments. If that is the case then there is nothing that you could have done to change the outcome of her disease. These tumors do not respond to radiation therapy, or chemotherapy and almost always recur with surgical removal due to their infiltrative nature and quickness to spread.
I know that you would have liked to give this sweet girl more time to enjoy life, but I hope that you can take some comfort in her great enjoyment of life during the 18 months that she was with you. You are a very kind person, and in this case you did the best you could for Pixxie, she just had the bad luck to have horrible disease.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.