Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My wets herself but it's not wee. It doesn't smell and

My bitch wets herself but it's not wee. It doesn't smell and when dry doesn't leave a stain
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. Do you think she is aware she is doing this, or does it just dribble out of her when she is sleeping or lying down?You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure she is aware while doing it but once she has done she is licking herself

Hello again and thanks for waiting. I have worked out an answer for you below ... While I cannot be sure of the diagnosis via the internet I can tell you that there are two forms of incontinence in the dog. One is the incontinence of cystitis [ bladder infections ] where the dog knows what is going on but has to squat down and go anyway.The second form is urinary incontinence of the spayed bitch and from your question, and you telling me that your dog is leaking a clear fluid there is some degree of possibility that this is what your dog is suffering from. While this is in fact usually urine which is leaking many clients tell me that with this disease it is a clear fluid which does not smell. Since this form of incontinence would be a strong possibility I will tell you what I know about it.1. It tends to affect large and giant breeds such as Dobermans, Rotweillers, GSDs, Labs etc. it is not confined to these breeds only and can sometimes affect small dogs.2. It affects spayed bitches.3. The dog is not aware she is doing it, you will see bed wetting, damp patches on the carpet where the dog has been lying, and urine will dribble out of the dog as she walks.4. The cause of this disease is relaxation of the urethral sphincter due to lack of female hormones as the ovaries are routinely removed during spay operations.5. What to do about it? : If this is the diagnosis then is usually easily treatable via prescription drugs your vet can supply, one group of drugs used to treat this condition contain phenylpropanolamine, the one I use had the trade name Propalin { Proin }, this is possibly your best option it is given orally. Other drugs which can be given are female hormones. Unfortunately there are not really any home remedy options with this disease. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** type you mentioned seems about right. Will take her for treatment tomorrow, mind at restūüėänow

No problem, very glad to have advised you ... I should be available online today for at least the next three or four hours so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further. Kindest regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }