Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 1 yr old 20 kg spaniel has a bee sting next to her eye.

My 1 yr old 20 kg spaniel has a bee sting next to her eye. Can I give her piriton? I have doused it in water and the swelling has stopped. I cannot see the stinger.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.
Yes you can give Tegan some piriton for the swelling, here is a direct link to this medication for use in dogs:
http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton
As per the site, Chlorpheniramine maleate is dosed in dogs at 0.1 mg per pound to 0.4 mg per pound (0.2 to 0.8 mg/kg) every 8 to 12 hours. Another way Chlorpheniramine maleate is dosed in dogs is by the total dose. For example, most dogs will receive 4 to 12 mg (total dose) orally two to three times daily (every 8 to 12 hours). Dose should not exceed 0.25 mg/per pound (or 0.5 mg/kg).
You can also use some cool compresses to reduce the discomfort and swelling as well!
Please let me know any additional questions I can assist with, I hope Tegan is feeling better soon!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!