Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent). Special interest in canine and feline medicine and surgery.
9138059

My dog which is a scottie,is darting back and forth and is

Customer Question

my dog which is a scottie,is darting back and forth and is unsettled,he is 10.5 yrs old and has just returned from the groomers,who said he had got some flees on his rear end,we were gutted .our other dog which is a westie and they said he was all clear of any?,we have took all the precausions and have given the scottie tablets/spray/special shampoo! now he's developed this mad darting back and forth could you advise me.
THANKS.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your Scottie boy Jock who is darting around and is unsettled after being groomed as well as treating him for fleas. It isn't too uncommon for dogs to become a little irritated after a flea treatment if they have a flea burden. Often the flea medications cause an increase in flea activity before they die. Furthermore - if Jock had some inflammed and raw areas of skin, then the spray may have been a little stingy for him.

Jock should settle in the next couple of hours, but some Piriton may help to take the edge off sooner. The typical dose for piriton in small dogs is half of a 4mg tablet twice daily (that's 2mg every 12 hours). If you give Jock some Piriton now, this should kick in and help reduce his irritation within the next hour or so.

Moving forward, you will need to use a reliable flea treatment for both dogs ongoing. Depending on the product, this may be every 4, or every 6 weeks ongoing. Good products include Advocate topical application, or Comfortis.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Stephen,

I thought I would follow up quickly to see how your Scottie boy is doing now. Hopefully things have settled for him?

It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E