Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I think my dog has a problem with his penis - it pops out and

Customer Question

I think my dog has a problem with his penis - it pops out and does not go back in sometimes for two days and he looks/acts as if he us uncomfortable/ in pain
Is this something I should be worried about? It is happening more regularly.... Fyi he is a three year old ***** ***** cross chiwawa and was neutered at 1 yr
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You’ve described paraphimosis which is most commonly seen in young intact dogs but also occurs in castrated dogs. The etiologies (causes) include developmental preputial anomalies, e.g., a small preputial opening or hypoplastic (under developed) prepuce; infections such as transmissable venereal tumor (rare) and balanoposthitis (infection of the prepuce); priapism (prolonged penile erection with or without sexual arousal); and a hair ring or scar tissue that has entrapped the penis. Paraphimosis is most commonly associated with a hair ring in my practices or a relatively stenotic preputial orifice (the opening for the penis to protrude from the prepuce). Ineffective preputial musculature that can’t effectively retract the penis into the prepuce is less common and is usually associated with neurologic disease such as myelopathy (spinal cord disorder).
Conservative care involves the use of cold compresses and sugar or honey in an attempt to reduce swelling of the penis if swelling is present. Removal of the hair around the preputial orifice and applying a lubricant such as K-Y jelly and manually replacing the penis into the prepuce is then attempted. Failure to replace the penis should be considered an emergency and attended to by his vet. The exposed penile tissue can become devitalized if outside of the prepuce for more than 12 hours.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.