Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has just ate chocolate what do I do

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Unless your dog ingested an ounce of chocolate per 1/2 kilogram of body weight or 1/3 of an ounce of dark chocolate per 1/2 kilogram of body weight, he won't be intoxicated by the theobromine in chocolate. Theobromine is a xanthine derivative such as caffeine which can cause agitation, tremors, and seizure if ingesting in enough quantity. Please tell me how much your dog weighs and how much and which type of chocolate was ingested.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Approx4/5 ounces of Belgian milk chocolate hard to say as this was chocolate sheep figure given to my son
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My dog weighs 12.7 kilogram
Your dog didn't ingest enough milk chocolate to become intoxicated. A 12.7 kg dog would need to ingest 27.9 ounces of milk chocolate to become intoxicated by theobromine. The most I'd expect is transient vomiting and/or diarrhea.
There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How long after eating and up to how long would symtoms accur
Vomiting could appear within minutes to hours. They wouldn't be expected to last more than a few minutes. Diarrhea can arise 4-12+ hours later.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi thanks for your advice just a bit concerned that when we entered ozzy's weight and how much consumed on an app my husband downloaded it says that it is severe and needs treatment?
You entered "approx4/5 ounces" which I interpreted as either 4/5 of an ounce or 4-5 ounces. Either would be much too little to seriously affect a 12.7 kg dog.
Please clarify.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry it was between 4 and 5 ounces
That amount might intoxicate a 2.3 kg dog but certainly not a 12.7 kg one.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
No, there's no reason for him to become symptomatic at this late date. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
(I marked your new post as a duplicate so you wouldn't be charged twice.)
You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.
Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's my pleasure.