Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I have a Yorkshire terrier five months old he have very watery

I have a Yorkshire terrier five months old he have very watery poo black in coloris I have him on frozen tripe from pet shop
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Benji's diarrhea. I'm so sorry he's having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. It sounds as if Benji is having some pretty terrible diarrhea. You are off to a good start by withholding food. That will solve the problem for some mild cases of diarrhea. Unfortunately, many other causes of diarrhea in young pups require medication. The type of diarrhea you're describing can be caused by a wide variety of different things: dietary intolerance, worms, protozoa, bacterial infections, toxins, viral infections, and even autoimmune diseases. Can you please tell me how long this has been going on and if there are any other symptoms like vomiting? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
In the meantime, I'll do my best to continue giving you the information you need to solve this problem. I'll start by saying I'm not a fan of frozen tripe for puppies with digestive issues. Any change in diet can make diarrhea worse, and I'm worried the trip isn't the best thing for him. It's better to try to withhold food entirely, at least for 24 hours. If that doesn't work, you can make a homemade bland diet of a 50/50 mix of boiled hamburger or boiled chicken mixed with rice.For the dogs I look after, I always advise a trip to the vet for any diarrhea (+/- vomiting) that lasts for more than 24 hours. Your vet will be able to do some fecal diagnostics to look for different protozoa, parasites, viruses, and other causes of diarrhea. Then the appropriate treatment can be prescribed. Unfortunately, home remedies won't solve most diarrhea problems, so the trip to the vet is very worthwhile.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
The only home remedies that are recommended for use in dogs are Pepto-bismol and Imodium. I can help you with dosing information if you'd like. Please let me know. The biggest hazard with trying home remedies is you can end up wasting time trying things that don't work when you really need to be getting the vet. I'll leave that decision in your hands.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'm happy to do all I can to help. If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer and rate my response. Without your positive feedback the website keeps your entire payment and I receive no compensation, so your acceptance is greatly appreciated. If you are not satisfied with the information I've provided, please let me know how else I may be of assistance. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just checking to see if you have any additional questions after reading over the information I've provided above. Please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
My apologies... I'm adjusting to the new format. Not sure you've had a way to ACCEPT my answer yet. Trying this post.
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.