Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My puppy is 10 wk old and cry when he poo its not hard is not

Customer Question

My puppy is 10 wk old and cry when he poo its not hard is not to soft

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I suspect that Simba's colon/rectum is inflamed and painful when stool passes through it. Gastrointestinal parasitism should be ruled out first. If it's time for Simba to be wormed again or this would be his first worming, please purchase an over the counter wormer containing pyrantel pamoate and dose him with it. If you see roundworms pass, you'll know why he's crying. Worm him again in 2 weeks even if you don't see worms pass after the first worming. If you don't see a positive change, have his vet perform a fecal ova and parasite exam which can detect both coccidia and Giardia - neither of which are addressed with pyrantel pamoate and will need a prescription drug instead - ponazuril and fenbendazole +/- metronidazole, respectively. Softening his food at this time is smart but it shouldn't be necessary in a normal dog. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Simba, please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi thank you for the diagnosis simba is fine and happy now from June in United Kingdom

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.