Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Good afternoon. My12 week old puppy unwell today. She had her

Customer Question

Good afternoon. My12 week old puppy unwell today. She had her last injection a week ago and 2 days later was wormed Panacur once daily for 3 days. 2 nights ago she ws wretching every half hour then OK in morning. Today she is really quiet, very sleepy not interested in food or playing with our other dog. She is not vomiting but her stomach is making awful noises. Could she ber reacting to the drugs do you think. I have just manasged to get a very small amount of boiled chicken breast and rice into her but she is straight back to sleep. Should I take her to a vet or will she get over it soon. She has been out yesterday and today for the first time and seemed fine, only getting sleepy since then. Certainly not herself. Have you any ideas please.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello Gill, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Phoebe hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

The noises that her stomach is making are called Borborygmi.

Normal, quiet borborygmi occur when normal quantities of gas are moved through the intestines in a normal fashion. Abnormally loud intestinal noises occur when the intestines contain abnormally large quantities of gas, or when the intestines experience abnormally increased activity.

One of the most common causes of the latter would be hunger so the noises you're hearing may be secondary to her not eating.

I can think of several possible explanations for her behavior which range from a foreign body to a viral or bacterial infection; while tincture of time and supportive treatment may resolve the latter issues, possible surgical intervention may be required for the former.
There are certainly other possibilities which I'll mention below.

I think it doubtful that her vaccines and/or worming are responsible for her current symptoms since we typically will see signs sooner than this (at least for the injection).
Internal parasites could cause debilitation if enough were present but I'd expect her to have diarrhea if this were the problem
And Panacur is tolerated really well by most dogs so a drug reaction also wouldn't be at the top of my list of possible causes for her behavior now but when she was nauseous several days ago, this might have been why.

On the off chance that her blood sugar may be low (a very commonly seen issue with dogs this size), you could rub her gums or offer her either honey or pancake syrup. If she's hypoglycemic, then you should see improvement within about 15 minutes or so.

It's also possible that she overdid it and needs to sleep; perhaps she'll wake up and act her normal self.

I would also take her temperature. Normal is between 100 and 102.5 degrees F; if it's high, then I wouldn't wait to have her seen.

I always worry when pups this age start to behave as you describe. They don't have many reserves and can go downhill pretty quickly. If she continues to act lethargic, won't eat anything (or very little), starts to vomit or show abdominal pain, then a vet visit would be most prudent.

I hope this helps and that she's back to normal soon; again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb