Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I am going to visit with a view to adopting an 8 year old english

Customer Question

I am going to visit with a view to adopting an 8 year old english bll terrier bitch - who was signed over to the RSPCA and has been treated for a severe demodex infestation. I have been told that she needs to be on steroid treatment for the rest of her life - does this mean that her immunity has been compromised and will it be inevitable that she will develop cushings, or other health condition - are there alternative remedies available - would a particular diet be beneficial? Realistically I must also factor in future vet expenses before my heart rules my head. I would appreciate advice - should I avoid this dog?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
If severe demodicosis has been diagnosed, a corticosteroid should be the last type of drug administered to her. She's likely to already be immunocompromised and a steroid would only immunocompromise her further. Adult onset demodicosis usually arises secondary to another disorder such as diabetes mellitus, Cushing's disease, and hypothyroidism. The goal, then, for these patients is to identify that underlying disease, treat successfully, and then expect a good response to therapy for demodicosis. Oral ivermectin is usually prescribed. The search for such a disease and the therapy for it and demodicosis can be costly and possibly lifelong and so if you have financial constraints, this EBT may not be a suitable adoption for you. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Michael for a quick and comprehensive response - I now have the nformation on which to base my decision

Linda G

You're welcome, Linda. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.