Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My dog is got kidney failure and not eaten week would

Customer Question

My dog is got kidney failure and not eaten for a week would milk make them sick
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry your poor dog is not eating and has kidney failure, this is always very stressful. Milk is a bad choice for dogs with kidney faliure as the primary source of not eating is due to nausea. Milk tends to make nausea worse. What you should try for now until he can get to the vet is boiling hamburger, fish or chicken with white rice and offering that to him. If he is still not interested in eating then he needs to see the vet for anti-nausea medications as he cannot go too much longer without eating because it will damage his liver. The other thing to try today is to give him a regular strength human antacid 2x daily (Ranitidine or famotitidine for example) to help settle the acid in his stomach to make him less nauseas. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan